President Bola Tinubu recently nominated Abbas Balarabe to fill the ministerial position left vacant by former Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai.
This move leaves Kaduna as the sole state without a ministerial representative in the new cabinet, a change conveyed via a letter read by Senate President Godswill Akpabio during a plenary session.
Here are 7 Things to know about new ministerial nominee – Abass Balarabe Lawal
1. Abbas Lawal Balarabe, born on February 5, 1958 (65 years old), is from Kachia Local Government in Kaduna State.
2. He holds a Bachelor of Science degree in Political Science from Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria (1978-1981), and an M.Sc in Political Science from the same institution (1984-1986).
3. Balarabe served as the Secretary to the State Government of Kaduna from 2015 to 2023 during Nasir El-Rufai’s administration.
4. He has had various roles, including Special Assistant to the Federal Minister of Education (1999-2001) and Special Assistant to the Minister of State (Army) at the Ministry of Defence (2001-2003).
5. His career includes stints as Special Assistant to the President and Chief of Staff to the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory in Abuja between July 2003 and July 2007.
6. Balarabe is actively involved in real estate and property management, presently serving as the Managing Director of Rightedge Property Nigeria Limited, Abuja (since October 2008).
7. He also engages in agricultural activities, such as poultry, livestock, and crop production in Zaria Metropolis.